Gluten-Free is the way to be




I'm back and hungrier then ever. After a heavy week I am excited to share a lot of phresh material. I want to begin this week with a question that I am encountering on a daily basis. "What is Gluten?"  As a foody and health nut I will educate the kids and elaborate on this question. Then go a little deeper on my relationship with gluten and food in general.

What is Gluten? 

Gluten latin for (glue) is in foods processed from wheat, barley, or rye. It is specifically an elastic protein most commonly found in wheat. You will find gluten in most breads, pasta, crackers, cookies, cakes, beer, or any food product containing wheat.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten

How does Gluten affect the body?

Gluten causes gut inflammation in about 80 percent of the population. This inflammation kills intestinal cells prematurely. Oxidation occurs on these cells and creates leaky gut, interrupting good digestion and taking away the majority of the nutrients in food. Bacteria and other toxic compounds also enter the blood stream causing autoimmune diseases. Gliadin the elastic protein found in wheat is similar in structure to the proteins found in our tissue and specifically in the thyroid or pancreas organs. Antibodies created to fight gliadin can attack the protein in your tissue and organs mistaking it for the gliadin and down the road cause autoimmune diseases, hypothyroidism and type 1 diabetes. The list of harmful affects gluten have on the human body goes on and on. Foods that are not supposed to be consumed by humans, GLUTEN IS AT THE TOP OF THE LIST!

Source:  http://paleodietlifestyle.com/11-ways-gluten-and-wheat-can-damage-your-health/

It is shocking to me how many people do not know what they are eating on a daily basis. As the numbers of disease increase every year we need to take the time to educate ourselves about the things we are consuming and not take the word of greedy corporations trying to make a quick dollar. Gluten is just one of many harmful ingredients that are being used in our foods today. GMO (genetically modified organism) is another huge current issue taking place in the United States. Monsanto Corporation has taken sovereignty over the corn, sugar beet, soy, and alfalfa market. This year Monsanto snuck in a bill exempting them from judicial review. This does not only demonstrate their power over the government but makes it impossible to track there changes to the food they chose to genetically modify.

Source: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2013/04/10/1832621/monsanto-protection-act-power/?fb_action_ids=10201032238385630&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=aggregation&fb_aggregation_id=288381481237582

Coming from an extremely health conscious family growing up I was constantly defying them by eating fast food, candy, and processed foods whenever I got out of the house. I remember the distinct addictive quality these foods had over my entire diet. 4 years of high school eating McDonalds or Wendy's for lunch every single day. Thanks to my genetics, or I honestly don't know if I would still be here to share this story. Even my first year after moving to LA I was eating fast food almost every day on the go. Let's face it! Fast food is convenient,  relatively inexpensive, and jam packed with chemicals taking our taste buds on a roller coaster ride. Fast food is the number 1 silent killer. Meaning it might not affect you today or the next week but eventually it will all catch up to you.

Going gluten-free over a year ago I had no idea how much wheat affected me until I completely removed it from my diet. no more bloating, sharp pains in my stomach, or that annoying piece of fat on my lower stomach that just never wanted to go away. Before I went GF wheat was the majority of my diet. As a carb lover I had no idea what I was going to eat. To my pleasant surprise the gluten free options are growing and often times better.


SOME OF MY GLUTEN-FREE FAVS:

-udi's cinnamon raisin bagels

-nature's path peanut butter panda puffs gluten-free cereal

-bob's red mill gluten-free brownie mix


No comments:

Post a Comment